On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Total Comfort in Franklin Lakes about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at Total Comfort. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Total Comfort about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not need exchanging.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Franklin Lakes home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Total Comfort a call at 201-268-5663.