Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Franklin Lakes, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Total Comfort can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Total Comfort in Franklin Lakes a call to get started. Contact our team at 201-268-5663 or book an appointment with us online.